December 5, 2012

Reviewing the 'blink'

When I read fiction, I am really in no hurry. I do want to enjoy the story: see all flowers, tears, and butterflies; hear the heroes inner voice, rustle of leaves; smell the fresh sea, granny's made marmalade, or lies.

I can't say the same for non-fiction. Generally I start reading the book with specific question in mind. I want to get to the point asap. Did we already get there? I don't want to have to read the same stories again and again, sorry.

The question, that enticed me into reading the blink was "Is making blink decisions as dangerous as I think it is?" And, as much as you may hope to hear yes or no, the answer is 'it depends' as you probably expected.

Well said:

"We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation. We really only trust conscious decision making. But there are moments, particularly in times of stress, when haste does not make the waste, when our snap judgments and first impressions can offer a much better means of making sense of the world."
Malcolm Gladwell


Basically, to conclude in my words the rest, your blink decisions can be the best, says the author, unless they are not, cause you were influenced by anything in the world to make that specific conclusion. Usually experts make best blink decisions, unless of course they were influenced by inner or outside circumstances. And sometimes not experts do better then experts except the times when experts do better at making right snap judgments.

...You probably think that I have not enjoyed the book at all, but that's not true. I did enjoy it till p.98. I was even excited, but then battles started, guns were fired, margarine was very popular somewhere on this planet and my patience was gone forever. I guess that's the limit I can read about the blink decisions. The book could be a great article in a magazine or even a book with less pages in it. Rustaveli said …

I kept reading even though I was quite bored. I wanted to give the book a chance to win me over, but there was nothing at the end so exciting. I was exhausted, bleeding on the field of wasted time. But I still learned few things, one of them: writing more is not always best.

1 comment:

  1. Ketevan NatsvlichviliDecember 05, 2012

    How loved your honest review. Yes the author did go overboard with examples and went on and one about the same thing. What I enjoyed was different examples and how the book made you raise all kinds of questions. It also made me wonder whether you can trust yourself at all, sometimes you can rely on your intuition, other times you can't. As in life there is no recipe, but for once this book offered scientific backup to things that we already know inside but that are often shut down by the society. In regards to the patience, this is exactly why Tiniko doesn't even bother reading these books, and I'm sure she will use this post to her defense as to why she doesn't want to read them.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think about this post and it's topic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis